Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I Know What I'm Doing

On a park outing a few weeks ago, I came upon a woman who seemed to have a bit of magic up her sleeve.  She was thin, fashionable, smiling, and not constantly yelling orders to her five children.  Not five like, first she had three, then 6 years later decided to have a couple more.  She had in her double stroller a new sleeping infant, a not-so-terrible two, and on the playground playing nicely were a four-year-old, 5-year-old, and 7-year-old.  This is my chance!  I thought.  I'm going to glean from this woman any advice she's willing to share.

I started up a conversation and eventually said, "My two-year-old has started talking back and saying things like 'Don't you talk to me like that, Mom.' "  I laughed like this is some kind of great joke and she just smiled and noded. "Did you ever deal with that at all?"  I pushed a little further.  

"Yeah."  Then she helped a child with a swing and came back.  Conversation ended.

Nothing!  It's almost as if she didn't want to step on my toes.  But it's true, most moms take offense at any advice no matter how simple or complex. 

It is so overwhelming when that first child is born, everyone else has their idea of how you should raise it.  And everyone's idea is completely different, yet unwavering in confidence.  Why is that?  How can there be so many ways to correctly raise a child?  Well obviously there aren't.  My way is the correct way, the only way, and everybody else is off their rocker.  Am I right?  I think that every parent has to believe this, in order to make it through and maintain some semblance of sanity.  If I don't believe that I know what I'm doing, then I will break down into tears for fear of failing my child.  

We are forced to be strong and carry on.  So, for the sake of parents everywhere, if you ever run into a new parent who is downing coffee and won't admit that their child doesn't sleep at night, just smile warmly and say "You're doing a good job.  It does get easier."

No comments:

Post a Comment